I had all my notes and everything in place to put up a detailed report on the conference but my laziness to blame. Alootechie and Contentsutra have both filled up the contentsphere with summaries from it. Let me instead outline a few things which some of the speakers shared and which i liked.
RAJ NAYAK – CEO NDTV MEDIA
– The top 6 players in the industry can change the market and give it the direction it needs. Forget Market Dynamics , its upto us.
– If agencies start selling cheap, what about the guy who has just started off , what will he survive on – Dont sell cheap – we are only damaging ourselves
– IAMAI should consolidate the industry – Why can we Ban people who dont pay up on time. Print media has these safegaurds , why not Internet.
– Change now, raise the bar now otherwise it will be too late.
DEBRAJ TRIPATHY – MOBILE MARKETING HEAD – ONMOBILE
– The guys who speand and have everything in their hands are the guys who need to understand– Its next to impossible to be able to survive at 10 CPM
JASPREET BINDRA – COUNTRY MANAGER – ONLINE SERVICES BUSINESS – MICROSOFT INDIA – The internet was initially seen as a brand building medium and not as a lead generation medium. We have come a full circle , we need to go back.Jaspreet also did a small poll during his session, as to what one thinks will be the leading medium in the next 5 years. Panelists including Rohit from Zapak, Rahul from Lenovo , lloyd from Siemens and Ashok Lalla from Taj voted TV being the most important medium, still, 5 years down the line.
ASHOK LALLA- DIRECTOR INTERNET MARKETING – TAJ HOTELS
– Online is not offline spelt differently.– in the face is not in the heart. Be careful, and not be intrusive with advertising.– ad copies are much more promising than the actual offering. Dont hook and then drop a customer.
RAHUL AGARWAL – VP MARKETING – LENOVO
– Internet has worked well for us. Over 90% of advertising in the US is online.– We have not used it as well as we could have here in India.– Internet is 1/5 th the cost of TV and Print.– Helps to reach 40% of our TG– Spend 10% of their budget on the net , and get 20 % of their leads.
SAM BALSARA – CHAIRMAN & MD MADISON
– People and agencies do not know how to sell this medium and are treated as 3rd citizens. – We keep preaching amogst ourselves only, and doont go out into the market and do the same.
BHAVNA GIANI – ASSOC CREATIVE DIRECTOR – MEDIATURF WORLDWIDE
– Coporates in India are not creative. Instead of being innovative they want bullet points (While citing an example for the car Polo and how it got attention on its safety features by interactive display– Publishers need to provide innovative ad spaces. They need to believe in Innovation and creativity.– Hire the right people. Dont put a receptionist as a client servicing person.– Promote online advertising
Overall a rather respectable day. Got a couple of brain cells to start working. There were ofcourse many other speakers as well. The conference was held at the Intercontinental in Connaught Place from 930-6 Pm , follwed by dinner and cocktails.