Google has agreed to cough up close to 3.1 Billion USD to acquire Doubleclick , one of the which is heavily into display, video and banners ad’s.
The move is clearly an attempt by google to move into the promising display advertising arena and simultaneously create obstacles for Microsoft entering into online search. The merger of these 2 giants will undoubtedly provide humongous servings of inventory to advertisers across the globe.
In a recent survey conducted by research firm Superbrands , UK voted Google as the top brand in the country. Google pushed out the BBC to claim the top spot. Google is the only brand in the top 50 which was established post 1990 while the average age in this segment is close to 90 years.
Microsoft was second followed by the BBC and BP (3rd & 4th) , In 5th came Glaxo, followed by Roll Royce in 6th. The others were :-
7th – Financial Times
8th – British Airlines
9th – fedex
10th – Hertz
How many of you were/are aware that google is in the process of rolling out a change in the formula which determines top spots placements for advertisers. The news is relatively old, being announced on August 2007 and the changes coming into place from October 2007 but is probably one of the most important changes made by Google in 2007.
Current formula is based purely on Quality Scoreand takes into account the actual CPC. Goggle however believed that this can be refined even more and should be considering that under the current equation, an advertisers placement depends to a large degree on the bidding characteristics of the advertisers below them, a factor not in control for the advertiser gunning for the top spot.
The change will be to take into account maximum CPC rather than actual, which allows for greater control towards this objective. This is also expected to increase the overall quality of the top ad’s for the users and give Google a larger pool to choose from.
I had all my notes and everything in place to put up a detailed report on the conference but my laziness to blame. Alootechie and Contentsutra have both filled up the contentsphere with summaries from it. Let me instead outline a few things which some of the speakers shared and which i liked.
RAJ NAYAK – CEO NDTV MEDIA
– The top 6 players in the industry can change the market and give it the direction it needs. Forget Market Dynamics , its upto us.
– If agencies start selling cheap, what about the guy who has just started off , what will he survive on – Dont sell cheap – we are only damaging ourselves
– IAMAI should consolidate the industry – Why can we Ban people who dont pay up on time. Print media has these safegaurds , why not Internet.
– Change now, raise the bar now otherwise it will be too late.
DEBRAJ TRIPATHY – MOBILE MARKETING HEAD – ONMOBILE
– The guys who speand and have everything in their hands are the guys who need to understand– Its next to impossible to be able to survive at 10 CPM